Prices incl. GST
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays.
2 in stock
- Product Code: Pololu-2212
- MPN: 2212
This gearmotor is a miniature high-power brushed DC motor with a 29.86:1 metal gearbox. It has a cross section of 10 × 12 mm, and the D-shaped gearbox output shaft is 9 mm long and 3 mm in diameter. This version also has a 4.5 × 1 mm extended motor shaft.
Key specs at 6 V: 1000 RPM and 120 mA with no load, 9 oz-in (0.6 kg-cm) and 1.6 A at stall.
These tiny brushed DC gearmotors are intended for use at 6 V, though in general, these kinds of motors can run at voltages above and below this nominal voltage, so they should comfortably operate in the 3 – 9 V range. Lower voltages might not be practical, and higher voltages could start negatively affecting the life of the motor. The micro metal gearmotors are available in a wide range of gear ratios—from 5:1 up to 1000:1—and with four different motors: high-power with long-life carbon brushes, high-power with shorter-life precious metal brushes, medium-power, and low-power. The HPCB version can be differentiated from versions with precious metal brushes by its copper-colored terminals. Note that the HPCB terminals are 0.5 mm wider than those on the other micro metal gearmotor versions, and they are about 1 mm closer together
With the exception of the 1000:1 gear ratio versions, all of the micro metal gearmotors have the same physical dimensions, so one version can be easily swapped for another if your design requirements change. Please see the micro metal gearmotor comparison table for detailed specifications of all our micro metal gearmotors. This dynamically-sortable table can help you find the gearmotor that offers the best blend of speed, torque, and current-draw for your particular application. A more basic comparison table is available below.
Some versions of the gearmotors are available with an additional 1 mm-diameter output shaft that protrudes from the rear of the motor. This 4.5 mm-long rear shaft rotates at the same speed as the input to the gearbox and offers a way to add an encoder, such as our magnetic encoder for micro metal gearmotors to provide motor speed or position feedback.
@ 6 V
@ 6 V
@ 6 V
(Gearbox & Motor)
|1600 mA||3000 RPM||4 oz-in||10:1 HPCB||10:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|1000 RPM||9 oz-in||30:1 HPCB||30:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|625 RPM||15 oz-in||50:1 HPCB||50:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|400 RPM||22 oz-in||75:1 HPCB||75:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|320 RPM||30 oz-in||100:1 HPCB||100:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|200 RPM||40 oz-in||150:1 HPCB||150:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|140 RPM||50 oz-in||210:1 HPCB||210:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|120 RPM||60 oz-in||250:1 HPCB||250:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|100 RPM||70 oz-in||298:1 HPCB||298:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
|32 RPM||125 oz-in||1000:1 HPCB||1000:1 HPCB dual-shaft|
(same specs as
|1600 mA||6000 RPM||2 oz-in||5:1 HP|
|3000 RPM||4 oz-in||10:1 HP||10:1 HP dual-shaft|
|1000 RPM||9 oz-in||30:1 HP||30:1 HP dual-shaft|
|625 RPM||15 oz-in||50:1 HP||50:1 HP dual-shaft|
|400 RPM||22 oz-in||75:1 HP||75:1 HP dual-shaft|
|320 RPM||30 oz-in||100:1 HP||100:1 HP dual-shaft|
|200 RPM||40 oz-in||150:1 HP||150:1 HP dual-shaft|
|140 RPM||50 oz-in||210:1 HP|
|120 RPM||60 oz-in||250:1 HP|
|100 RPM||70 oz-in||298:1 HP||298:1 HP dual-shaft|
|32 RPM||125 oz-in||1000:1 HP||1000:1 HP dual-shaft|
|700 mA||2200 RPM||3 oz-in||10:1 MP||10:1 MP dual-shaft|
|730 RPM||8 oz-in||30:1 MP|
|420 RPM||13 oz-in||50:1 MP|
|290 RPM||17 oz-in||75:1 MP||75:1 MP dual-shaft|
|220 RPM||19 oz-in||100:1 MP||100:1 MP dual-shaft|
|150 RPM||24 oz-in||150:1 MP|
|75 RPM||46 oz-in||298:1 MP|
|25 RPM||80 oz-in||1000:1 MP||1000:1 MP dual-shaft|
|low-power||360 mA||2500 RPM||1 oz-in||5:1|
|1300 RPM||2 oz-in||10:1|
|440 RPM||4 oz-in||30:1||30:1 dual-shaft|
|250 RPM||7 oz-in||50:1||50:1 dual-shaft|
|170 RPM||9 oz-in||75:1|
|120 RPM||12 oz-in||100:1||100:1 dual-shaft|
|85 RPM||17 oz-in||150:1|
|60 RPM||27 oz-in||210:1|
|50 RPM||32 oz-in||250:1|
|45 RPM||40 oz-in||298:1||298:1 dual-shaft|
|14 RPM||70 oz-in||1000:1||1000:1 dual-shaft|
Note: Stalling or overloading gearmotors can greatly decrease their lifetimes and even result in immediate damage. The recommended upper limit for instantaneous torque is 35 oz-in for the 1000:1 gearboxes and 25 oz-in for all the other gear ratios; . Stalls can also result in rapid thermal damage to the motor windings and brushes, especially for the versions that use high-power motors; a general recommendation for brushed DC motor operation is 25% or less of the stall current.
Details for item #2212
Exact gear ratio: 31×33×35×3416×14×13×14≈29.86:1
In terms of size, these gearmotors are very similar to Sanyo’s popular 12 mm NA4S DC gearmotors, and gearmotors with this form factor are occasionally referred to as N20 motors. The versions with carbon brushes have slightly different terminal and end-cap dimensions than the versions with precious metal brushes, but all of the other dimensions are identical.
Dimensions of versions with carbon brushes (HPCB)
|Dimensions of the Pololu micro metal gearmotors with carbon brushes (HPCB). Units are mm over [inches].|
Dimensions of versions with precious metal brushes (low-power, MP, and HP)
|Dimensions of the Pololu micro metal gearmotors with precious metal brushes: low-power, medium-power (MP), and high-power (HP). Units are mm over [inches].|
These diagrams are also available as a downloadable PDF (262k pdf).
- Wheels and hubs: The micro metal gearmotor’s output shaft matches our assortment of Pololu wheels and the Solarbotics RW2i rubber wheel. You can also use our Pololu universal mounting hubs to mount custom wheels and mechanism to the micro metal gearmotor’s output shaft, and you can use our 12mm hex wheel adapter to use this motor with many common hobby RC wheels.
|12mm Hex Wheel Adapter for 3mm Shaft on a Micro Metal Gearmotor.|
- Mounting brackets: Our mounting bracket and extended mounting bracket are specifically designed to securely mount the gearmotor while enclosing the exposed gears. We recommend the extended mounting bracket for wheels with recessed hubs, such as the Pololu wheel 42×19mm. Our micro metal gearmotors will also work with our 15.5D mm metal gearmotor bracket pair.
- Quadrature encoders: We offer several quadrature encoders that work with our micro metal gearmotors.
Note: The HPCB versions of our micro metal gearmotors are not compatible with our #2590 and #2591 optical encoders or our older #2598 magnetic encoders (the terminals are too wide to fit through the corresponding holes in the encoder boards). However, they are compatible with our newer #3081 magnetic encoders.
- Motor controllers and drivers: We have a number of motor controllers that make it easy to drive these micro metal gearmotors, including our qik 2s9v1 dual serial motor controller and our programmable Baby Orangutan and Orangutan SVP robot controllers. The qik 2s9v1 allows variable speed and direction control of two small, brushed DC motors using a simple serial interface; the Orangutans combine a programmable Atmel AVR microcontroller and dual motor driver all in a single package and make interfacing with the motor drivers simple when you use our Pololu AVR library. We also carry a number of basic motor drivers suitable for use with these motors, including the DRV8838 single-channel motor driver carrier, the DRV8833 dual motor driver carrier, the DRV8835 dual motor driver carrier, and the TB6612FNG dual motor driver carrier.
We also incorporate these motors into some of our products, including our Zumo robot and 3pi robot :
Selecting the Right Gearmotor
We offer a wide selection of metal gearmotors that offer different combinations of speed and torque. Our metal gearmotor comparison table can help you find the motor that best meets your project’s requirements.
|Some of the Pololu metal gearmoto|