Prices incl. GST
Ready to ship today,
Delivery time appr. 1-3 workdays.
4 in stock
- Product Code: Pololu-3284
- MPN: 3284
The RoboClaw from Ion Motion Control (formerly Orion Robotics) is an efficient, versatile, dual-channel synchronous regenerative motor controller. It can supply two brushed DC motors with 7.5 A, 15 A, 30 A, 45 A, or 60 A continuous (depending on the model) at voltages from 6 V to 34 V, and it allows for peak currents up to twice the maximum continuous rating.
The RoboClaw features dual quadrature decoding capability. A built-in PID routine can be used for closed-loop speed control, maintaining motor speeds even if the load varies, or the encoder counts and speeds can be read directly from the RoboClaw for use with an external control system. Analog feedback is also supported for closed-loop position control.
The RoboClaw has a USB interface that acts as a virtual serial (COM) port, allowing it to be controlled directly from a computer. Several other interface modes are supported by the RoboClaw as well: it can be controlled via TTL serial for use with an embedded system, RC hobby servo pulses for use as an RC-controlled electronic speed control (ESC), or analog voltages for use with potentiometers or analog joysticks.
The RoboClaw 2x7A (V5 and V5B), 2x15A (V5), 2x30A (V5), 2x45A (V5), and 2x60A (V5) have USB Micro-B connectors; older USB RoboClaws had a USB Mini-B connector.
This RoboClaw 2x7A (V5B) is a slightly improved replacement for the 2x7A (V5). Specifically, the V5 linear BEC regulator has been replaced by a higher-power switching regulator on the V5B that can deliver up to 1.2 A at 5 V, and this product now includes an optional case. In all other respects, the new version is functionally identical to the previous one.
The board size is the same and the locations of the key interface elements (e.g. buttons, terminal blocks, header pins, USB connector, and mounting holes) are unchanged, but some of the components (e.g. the large power capacitors) have changed, which could affect how the new controller works as a replacement for the V5 in designs with very tight space constraints.
- Simple bidirectional control of two brushed DC motors
- 6 V to 34 V operating supply range
- 7.5 A to 60 A maximum continuous current output, depending on controller model
- Automatic current limiting reduces duty cycle when motor current is between 1× and 2× the controller’s rated current
- Four communication or control options:
- USB serial interface (virtual COM port)
- Logic-level (TTL) serial interface for direct connection to microcontrollers or other embedded controllers
- Hobby radio control (RC) pulse width interface for direct connection to an RC receiver or RC servo controller
- 0 V to 2 V (5 V tolerant) analog voltage interface for direct connection to potentiometers and analog joysticks
- Dual feedback inputs for PID closed-loop control:
- Speed control with quadrature encoders, up to 19.6 million encoder pulses per second
- Position control with analog encoders or potentiometers
- (Open-loop control with no feedback also available)
- Screw terminals for quick connect/disconnect
- Configurable via pushbutton interface
- Regenerative braking
- Tolerates high-speed direction changes
- Jumper-selectable 5 V BEC
- Battery monitoring and under-voltage cutoff protects batteries from over-discharging
|Size:||1.7″ × 1.9″ × 0.7″1|
|Control interface:||USB; non-inverted TTL serial (2-way); |
RC servo pulses; analog voltage2
|Minimum operating voltage:||6 V|
|Maximum operating voltage:||34 V|
|Continuous output current per channel:||7.5 A|
|Peak output current per channel:||15 A|